Richard has over 25 years experience in law enforcement at the frontline, in specialist squads and corporate areas. He has a long history of leading workplace teams in very high pressure environments and long term projects. He has developed an excellent understanding of the dynamics involved in creating and maintaining a positive culture within teams.
Most recently he has been overseeing projects focusing on cultural change. This included facilitating immersive leadership development programs for over 3000 employees across one organisation in both face to face and online modes. His facilitation extends into public leadership programs, banking and consulting organisations and financial service regulators.
Richard has a strong focus on mindset shifts within individuals and teams by working on what is strong within teams to build performance and achieve better outcomes.
1991 – 1995 – Banking Industry
1993 – 1994 – Hospitality Industry
1995 – 2002 – Operational Police Officer
2002 – 2005 – Police prosecutor
2005 – 2010 – Specialist Investigator for the Metropolitan Transit system
2010 – 2013 – Public Order policing specialist
2013 – 2016 – Human Trafficking and sex industry policing specialist; developed and delivered training packages to raise awareness of human trafficking
2017 – 2020 – Police Integrity Unit manager and trainer of police recruits at Police Academy; Facilitation of public leadership programs; Owned and operated business supplying pulses to the restaurant industry
2020 onwards – Facilitator of leadership programs for Victoria Police; Ongoing work coaching private clients
2021 – Joined The Leadership Sphere as consultant
Areas of Expertise
- Leadership Development
- Culture transformation within workplaces and organisations
- Tools of Influence
- Building Resilience
- Building integrity within Teams
- Individual, group and team coaching
- Communication Skills
- Conflict management
Qualifications and Memberships
- Bachelor of Business from RMIT University
- Bachelor of Arts (Public Sector leadership) from the University of Tasmania
- Diploma in Business and Personal Coaching
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment
- HBDI® Accreditation
- DiSC Accreditation
- LCP Accreditation
What We Care About
The issues we face today in organisations and globally will require unprecedented leadership and unprecedented levels of co-operation concurrently, to mobilise communities and organisations.
A New Paradigm for the Future
To make progress on our most significant issues, we need a new paradigm—one that inspires us to:
- Act constructively in a values-driven way
- Empower each other to take responsibility and accountability at all levels of the organisation
- Shift our focus from problem-centric to solution-centric (positive change)
- Make progress on the toughest issues and challenges
- Create an environment of breakthrough performance, and high levels of commitment and learning
- Liberate ourselves from old ways of thinking about how to manage and lead people
- Develop systems intelligence.
As the industrial age wanes, new possibilities emerge to create a different paradigm of leadership. I propose a new paradigm that draws from many sources and builds on them in an integrative way.
The mechanistic, industrial paradigm has been in existence since the latter part of the 18th century and continues to shape society and modern organisations. It is a long, slow journey, yet incredibly worthwhile.
Our Definition of Leadership
“Leadership is a shared relationship where people are positively influenced to mobilise themselves around their toughest challenges, in service of a mutual purpose consistent with fundamental values.”